How to use ShredderEnvironment
McAfee Total Protection
McAfee Internet Security
Affected Operating Systems:
Microsoft Windows 8
Microsoft Windows 7
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows XP
When you delete a file from your Windows computer, the data is not completely purged from your system. Your McAfee Security suite offers a feature called Shredder that protects your privacy by securely deleting files that might contain personal or sensitive information so that they cannot be retrieved from your computer.Video Tutorial
You can watch a video about Shredder on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O14Jv_TJJWQSolution
Perform the following steps to securely delete files with Shredder:
- Open your McAfee software.
- Open Data Protection and Backup.
NOTE: Depending on your software version, this drawer might be called PC Optimization.
- Select Shredder.
- Select the folder you wish to shred. You can select the Recycle Bin, the Temporary Internet Files, or select Let me choose to specify the folder.
IMPORTANT: Shredder will completely eliminate the contents of whatever folder you select. If you select a folder that is required for Windows to operate, you can permanently damage your operating system. Items that are shredded cannot be recovered.
- Choose the type of shred you want to perform:
- Quick: The fastest shred
- Basic: Still fast, but a little more in depth
- Safe: Provides additional security, but is not as fast
- Comprehensive: Provides stronger security
- Complete: Completely eliminates the target data
- Click Shred. If you selected Let me choose for your shred file location, you will be prompted to select the folder to shred.
- On the confirmation screen, click Shred.