SecurityCenter fails to open, displays a blank white screen, or displays a JScript errorEnvironment
McAfee Total Protection
McAfee Internet Security
McAfee AntiVirus Plus
Affected Operating Systems:
Microsoft Windows 8
Microsoft Windows 7
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows XP
McAfee SecurityCenter fails to open, opens to a blank white screen, or you see a JScript error. Other applications on your system might have the same issue.Cause
This issue is often caused by problems with your Windows operating system. System files depend on one another to provide full functionality. If some of these components fail to register, for example, these interdependencies will fail to function.Solution 1
The following Solutions will assist you in troubleshooting these interdependencies, assuming the problem file is part of the McAfee product. If after completing these Solution steps you still see the original problem, the issue is with your Windows operating system itself, and you should continue to the Workaround for helpful steps to collect information for your manufacturer.
If McAfee SecurityCenter displays a blank screen, it might be caused by an incorrect registry key that references JScript. Perform the following steps to download and run the script that fixes this issue.
- Save any work. The script asks you to restart your computer when it completes.
- Click the following link and save the file to your desktop:
- Unzip the file you downloaded and save mcscriptfix.bat to your Desktop.
- Right-click mcscriptfix.bat and select Run as Administrator.
- Click Yes in the User Account Control box, if prompted.
While this script runs, a black DOS Prompt window opens on your screen.
- Press any key to continue when prompted.
- Restart your computer.
After your computer boots to Windows, open your McAfee product and verify it is functioning as expected. If you still see the original problem, continue to the next Solution.Solution 2
Download and run the McAfee PreInstall Tool
- Go to http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe, and save the McPreInstall file to your desktop.
- Double-click McPreInstall.exe.
- Click Start inside the Preinstall Tool.
- Read the warning message and click OK to agree to the changes.
- After the preinstall tool completes, click OK.
- Click Close and restart your computer.
After your computer boots to Windows, open your McAfee product and verify it is functioning as expected. If you still see the original problem, continue to the next Solution.Solution 3
Uninstall and reinstall your McAfee Security product using the procedure in article TS101331.Workaround
After your reinstall is complete and you have booted to Windows, open your McAfee product and verify it is functioning as expected. If you still see the original problem, continue to the Workaround.
If you still cannot see SecurityCenter screens correctly after completing all of the previous solutions, you most likely have an operating system problem. Perform the following steps and make a note of any errors you receive.
- Click Start and select the Search box.
- Type cmd and press ENTER:
- Right-click command and select Open as Administrator.
- Type each of the following commands and press ENTER after each one. After each command has run, you will see a success or failure message:
- regsvr32 scrrun.dll
- regsvr32 jscript.dll
- regsvr32 vbscript.dll
- Additional command for Internet Explorer 9 users:
If you received no errors during this process, open your McAfee product again and verify it is working. Otherwise, contact your manufacturer with the errors you received while performing the previous steps so they can assist you in resolving your underlying Windows problem.