McAfee Mobile Security - common questionsEnvironment
McAfee Mobile Security
Affected Mobile Devices:
Installation and Subscription
Using McAfee Mobile Security
- How do I get McAfee Mobile Security?
Go to your mobile device online store (Android Market or BlackBerry App World) and search for McAfee Mobile Security. You can download the McAfee Mobile Security application there or visit http://www.McAfeeMobileSecurity.com/mobile on your mobile device browser to download Mobile Security.
- How do I get started with McAfee Mobile Security?
After you download McAfee Mobile Security, follow the on-screen instructions to install the application. If you have a mobile phone, you have to type your device number, email address, PIN, and a buddy. If you have a tablet, you have to type your email address and PIN. Your mobile device and data are then protected for as long as you subscribe to Mobile Security.
- What is my username and PIN?
If you use McAfee Mobile Security on your mobile phone, your user name is your phone number. Remember to include your country code.
If you use McAfee Mobile Security on your tablet, your user name is your email address. Your PIN for the McAfee Mobile Security application and for the Mobile Security website is the six‑digit number you entered when you first activated Mobile Security.
NOTE: Tablet users can log in to the Mobile Security website with their McAfee email address and password.
- Can I install McAfee Mobile Security on my memory card?
No, McAfee Mobile Security does not install on memory cards. Mobile Security installs on your mobile device’s onboard memory.
- I have several phones. Can I add each to my account?
Your McAfee Mobile Security account is associated with only one mobile device. You must open a new account for each of your mobile devices.
- I am replacing my old phone. Can I use my old account for my new phone?
Yes, as long as you use the same SIM card or email address. If you are using a tablet, download and install McAfee Mobile Security on your new device and type your PIN.
IMPORTANT: After you change the device associated with your account, your old device is no longer protected by McAfee Mobile Security.
- I am changing my phone number. Can I keep my McAfee Mobile Security account?
Yes. Refer to article TS101148 for more information.
- How do I subscribe to McAfee Mobile Security?
McAfee Mobile Security comes with a free seven-day trial. At the end of the trial, you are prompted to subscribe. You can view the payment options and subscribe from the application on your mobile device or from the McAfee website.
- How much does it cost to subscribe to McAfee Mobile Security?
Please visit https://www.mcafeemobilesecurity.com/buy/ for pricing and subscription details.
- Is it easy to uninstall McAfee Mobile Security?
On Symbian and Windows Mobile devices, you must enter your PIN before you can uninstall the application. On Android, you can select McAfee Mobile Security as a device admin application. This makes McAfee Mobile Security more reliable, and it becomes difficult for anyone to uninstall McAfee Mobile Security without a PIN/password. On a BlackBerry device, you are prompted to download an Uninstall Protection Add-on (UPA) when you install the McAfee Mobile Security application.
- Will McAfee Mobile Security work on my phone?
McAfee Mobile Security runs on many major mobile device operating systems, including:
To see if your device is supported, visit: https://www.mcafeemobilesecurity.com/download.aspx.
- Google Android
- Symbian OS
- Google Android tablets
- Will McAfee Mobile Security drain my battery faster?
Battery drain is negligible. With normal use, the device battery drains only five percent faster when McAfee Mobile Security is installed. If you have an Android tablet that is not push-enabled, your battery might drain faster because of higher data use. Also, your battery might drain faster if you have automatic scan enabled.
- Can I customize McAfee Mobile Security to suit my preferences?
Yes. McAfee Mobile Security offers many customizable settings. For instance, you can set your device to lock automatically whenever the SIM card is replaced, because this might mean the device is stolen. After you unlock your device, the installed SIM card becomes a "safe" SIM card and your device is never locked when that SIM card is inserted. You can also set McAfee Mobile Security to automatically back up important data such as contacts and text messages.
You can also customize how McAfee Mobile Security protects you against viruses and spyware. You can decide how often McAfee scans for malware, which parts of the phone are scanned, and which events prompt an automatic antivirus scan. You can also set how often McAfee Mobile Security updates its protection.
- Can McAfee Mobile Security protect my SIM card too?
No, McAfee Mobile Security does not provide security for your SIM card. If you lose your device and your SIM card, you can use McAfee Mobile Security to protect your device. You can call your wireless service provider to disable the SIM card.
- Am I guaranteed to get my phone back?
Unfortunately we cannot guarantee that you will get your mobile device back. We recommend that you back up your data automatically so you can always access your important information.
If you lose your mobile device, remotely lock your phone to make it inaccessible.
- What kind of malicious software does McAfee Mobile Security detect?
McAfee Mobile Security protects your mobile device from mobile malware and other digital threats including viruses, worms, spyware, key loggers, bots, and potentially unwanted programs.
NOTE: If you use an Android device, McAfee Mobile Security also blocks access to risky sites when using the default Android web browser.
- How often does McAfee Mobile Security scan for viruses?
Mobile Security automatically scans your device in real-time. When you receive a message, access a file, or install an application, it is scanned instantly. In addition, McAfee Mobile Security scans your device on a set schedule. If you suspect your mobile device is infected, you can run a manual scan at any time.
- Which parts of the device does McAfee Mobile Security scan?
Scanning checks the file system on your mobile device. This includes messages, pictures, installed applications, and compressed files.
NOTE: Protection features might vary by device.
- Does McAfee Mobile Security scan message content and attachments?
Yes. McAfee scans messages, SMS, MMS, email, and attachments as soon as they arrive on your device.
NOTE: SMS and MMS messages are not scanned on BlackBerry devices, and email is not scanned on Android devices.
- Does McAfee Mobile Security detect viruses on the memory card?
Yes. McAfee Mobile Security does scan content on your SD memory card. You can configure McAfee Mobile Security to scan each SD memory card inserted in your device.
- Can McAfee Mobile Security stop over the air hacking attempts?
McAfee stops you from downloading malicious and infected applications. McAfee Mobile Security also protects you from risky websites you might access on your mobile browser. It does not block communication sent with WiFi, Bluetooth, or Irda interfaces.
- What happens when McAfee Mobile Security detects a virus?
McAfee Mobile Security shows a full screen warning and lets you delete, quarantine, repair, or ignore the infected file. You can decide when you are notified about threats and how you want to respond to them.
NOTE: If you have an Android or Blackberry device, you cannot repair infected files, only delete or ignore them.
- I ignored a virus warning earlier; how can I remove the virus?
You can run a manual scan to see the warning again. If you ignore a malicious application, Mobile Security automatically reminds you to deal with the threat the next time you restart, or when a scheduled system scan is performed.
- I have not checked for McAfee Mobile Security updates in a while. Am I still protected?
Yes, Mobile Protection keeps your protection up to date by updating the DAT files automatically and frequently. You can set McAfee Mobile Security to update at intervals that are convenient for you. You can also check for updates any time from the application menu.
- How can I see when McAfee Mobile Security was last updated?
You can view the log file from the application menu to see all events related to McAfee Mobile Security. Events such as your last scan, last update, and any virus detections are shown in the log file. You can also reset the log file whenever you want.
- How much space do protection updates need?
Protection updates are less than 5 KB. Remember, you can always change the update frequency in the application settings.
The App Protection feature is available only on Android devices
with McAfee Mobile Security 2.0 installed.
- What is App Protection?
App Protection checks your mobile device applications and lets you know the type of personal data and device functions they can access and change. For example, some applications can access your location, contacts, network, calendar, and passwords; others can access your microphone, camera, or GPS.
With App Protection you get intelligent and up-to-date information about your applications. The icons show the type of information the application can access from your device. You can keep applications you trust and remove those you think are sharing too much personal data.
- What can App Protection tell me about an application on my mobile device?
App Protection provides descriptions of the types of personal data or functions an application can access on your mobile device.
- Why are some applications trusted before I review them?
App Protection automatically trusts:
- McAfee applications
- Applications that do not access your personal data
- Applications that are preloaded by your device manufacturer
- Applications that are part of the Android operating system
- Does a trusted application need to be reviewed again after I update it?
If you update a trusted application that has access to your personal data, App Protection will ask you to review it.
- I think one of my applications is accessing too much data. What can I do?
If you find out that an application can access more personal data or device functions than you originally thought, App Protection lets you quickly remove it from your mobile device.
- Does App Protection scan my mobile device for viruses and other threats?
App Protection does not scan your device for threats like viruses, Trojans, or spyware. However, the Security Scan feature scans your device for threats and keeps you protected.
- Can I lock my device remotely if it is lost or stolen?
Yes. You can send text messages to your mobile device to control it remotely. To lock your device, send Secure lock PIN. For example:
Secure lock 123456
You can display a message on your locked device by sending Secure lock PIN MESSAGE. For example:
Secure lock 123456 Please contact 1-800-555-5555 to return
- What is the difference between the built-in lock on my mobile device and the McAfee Mobile Security lock?
The McAfee Mobile Security lock lets you control your mobile device remotely. It also lets you display a message on the mobile device to request its return.
Additionally, it tells you when your mobile device is locked so you have peace of mind knowing that your mobile device is really protected.
Backup, Upload, Restore, and Wipe
- I have the thief's device number. What can I do?
McAfee recommends that you file a report with the police.
- What does McAfee Mobile Security track?
McAfee Mobile Security lets you track all activity on your mobile device. You can see when a new SIM card is inserted in your device on the Track page. You can also use the backup feature to track all sent and received text messages and see all incoming and outgoing calls. This gives you a record of your own usage or tracks down a thief's device number.
- Can I track the geographical location of my mobile device?
Yes, you can view your mobile device's location in real time from the McAfee Mobile Security website. Go to our website, log in, and click Location.
Call and SMS Filter
- What data can I back up, upload, restore, and wipe?
- Back up: Contacts, text messages, call logs, and calendar items.
- Upload: Photos and videos.
- Restore: Contacts, text messages, and calendar items.
- Wipe: Contacts, text messages, email messages, calendar items, photos, videos, and your memory card.
- How can I back up my data?
You can back up data from your mobile device or from the McAfee Mobile Security website. You can also set up your McAfee Mobile Security application to back up your data automatically. Here’s how:
- Manual Backup from your mobile device: From the McAfee Mobile Security application on your mobile device select Backup, and then choose the data you want to back up.
- Manual Backup from the McAfee Mobile Security website: Log into the McAfee Mobile Security website, select Backup, and then choose the data you want to back up.
- Auto Backup: From the McAfee Mobile Security application on your mobile device, select Backup. From the Settings menu, select Auto Backup, and then choose how often you want to back up automatically. Only new data will be backed up, so you do not have to worry about excessive GPRS usage.
NOTE: If you have an Android or Blackberry device, Auto-Backup will be performed once a day. To preserve battery life, Auto-Backup is done only when device is being charged.
- Do I incur any data charges when I back up or restore my data?
There is no extra charge for using McAfee Mobile Security to back up or restore your data. However, depending on your data plan, you might incur additional data charges from your wireless service provider. Also, if you are outside Singapore, the US, and the UK, your operator might charge for international text messages when commands are sent from the website to your mobile device.
The Call and Message Filter feature is available for Android
smartphones and Android tablets that can make calls. On a BlackBerry device, the feature is called Call Filter
, and you can only block calls.
- What is Call and SMS Filter?
The Call and Message Filter lets you block calls and text messages from unwanted numbers. You can choose the phone numbers that should be blocked, or allow only those numbers to call or text you.
- How can I add new numbers to the Call and SMS Filter?
The Call and Message Filter lets you import numbers from your call logs, message list, or contacts. You can also enter the numbers manually.
- What is a YesList and a NoList?
A YesList is a list of phone numbers that can call or text you, whereas the NoList is a list of phone numbers that are blocked from calling or texting you.
- How does the Call and SMS Filter block a call?
When the Call and Message Filter identifies that a call is from a number on the NoList, the call is either forwarded to your voicemail, or is rejected. If the call is rejected, the caller will hear a busy tone. You can change the blocking settings from the Call and Message Filter settings. You can also see all blocked calls in the Log.
- How does the Call and SMS Filter block a text message?
When the Call and Message Filter identifies that a text message is from a number on the NoList, the text is either deleted or moved to a folder you define. You can change the blocking settings from the Call and Message Filter settings. You can also see the blocked text messages in the Log.
NOTE: Even though the Call and Message Filter blocks the text message, it is still delivered to your device, and some wireless service providers might charge you for incoming text messages.
Features described in this section are applicable only to users with McAfee Mobile Security installed on Android devices.
- How does McAfee Mobile Security protect me against malicious websites and phishing attempts?
When you surf the Internet using your Android browser, McAfee automatically blocks malicious websites using McAfee SiteAdvisor technology. SiteAdvisor gives you real-time protection against mobile phishing and browser exploits. In addition, McAfee Mobile Security provides website safety ratings for each site you visit.
- How often does McAfee update its protection against newly created risky sites?
McAfee detects thousands of new threats each day and updates its site ratings database every hour. In addition, McAfee Mobile Security includes daily protection updates for known browser threats.
- How safe is my data?
Our servers and communications use technology that has standards as high as those used by banks or credit card companies. Some of McAfee Mobile Security technology was initially developed for police and military use, and has all the necessary encryption and communication security to ensure no one can view your private content - not even our staff. There have been no reported cases of data privacy or integrity loss. You have total control; data is uploaded only if you choose to upload it.
If you have concerns, you can choose not to use the data upload feature.
- I am worried about data charges. Will I be using 3G or GPRS on McAfee Mobile Security?
We use a data connection to update your protection and back up and restore your data, so you might incur data charges. However, you can decide how often protection updates occur and when to back up or restore your data to minimize the data charges. Check your data usage terms and rates with your wireless service provider. There might also be minimal data usage when your mobile device informs the server of its status, such as whether the mobile device is locked.
- What is 3G or GPRS?
General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) and 3G are data services for your mobile device. They allow you to use the Internet, send Multimedia Messaging Services (MMS) messages, and other activities that require data transfer on your mobile device.
- How do I set up 3G or GPRS?
Newer mobile devices have 3G or GPRS set up for you. If your mobile device doesn’t, please call your wireless service provider to help you set it up.
- Is there a list of all remote commands?
This table shows the commands you can send to your device.
|To do this… ||Use this command… ||Here’s an example… |
|Lock your device ||Secure lock [PIN] ||Secure lock 123456 |
|Change your locked screen message ||Secure lock [PIN] [MESSAGE] ||Secure lock 123456 Please contact 1-800-555-5555 to return |
|Receive a text message with a link to track your device’s location ||Secure locate [PIN] ||Secure locate 123456 |
|Erase your device’s data ||Secure wipe [PIN] ||Secure wipe 123456 |