ERROR: Failed to Create IDispatchEnvironment
Total Protection 2010, 2011
Internet Security Suite 2010, 2011
AntiVirus Plus 2010, 2011
Affected Operating Systems:
Windows Vista (64-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit)
NOTE: If you are unsure what version of the McAfee Security software you have installed, please see article TS101107.
The error Failed to Create IDispatch displays when attempting to view the McAfee Security report.Cause
Some known Registry Cleaning software removes McAfee entries from the HKEY_Classes_Root registry hive, which in turn triggers the iDispatch error.
The registry utilities observed to cause this condition include:
- Uniblue Registry Booster
- Glary Utilities
NOTE: This issue has been reported only on computers running the 64-bit Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems.Solution 1
Run McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) from http://mvt.mcafee.com. This resolves the issue by correcting the registry entries. Solution 2
For more information on MVT and how to use it, see article TS101111.
CAUTION: This article contains information about opening or modifying the registry.
- The following information is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure if done incorrectly.
- Before proceeding, McAfee strongly recommends backing up your registry and understanding the restore process. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986.
- Do not run a .REG file that is from an untrusted source.
If you are unable to run MVT, you can also download and run a file to resolve this issue.
- Download and save the following .reg file to your desktop.
NOTE: You may be prompted to approve this as Administrator.
IMPORTANT: Some web browsers will display the .reg file contents as a text file, rather than download the .reg file. In this situation, copy the entire text into a new text document using Notepad, and save it with a .reg extension.
- Double-click the .reg file to merge the previously deleted registry keys back into your computer's registry.
- Restart your computer.