How to install or uninstall McAfee Internet Security for MacEnvironment
Internet Security for Mac
Affected Operating Systems:
Apple Mac OS X (10.6 or higher)
This article will assist you with installing or uninstalling McAfee Internet Security for Mac.Solution
Steps to install:
Steps to uninstall:
- Open a web browser.
- Go to http://home.mcafee.com.
- Log in to your McAfee account.
- Under the product listing for McAfee Internet Security for Mac, click the Download button.
- Click I Agree to the End User License Agreement.
- If a serial number displays below the Download button, write it down. You will need it later to activate your product.
NOTE: The serial number will be available only for two hours. If you want to install your product later, you can come back to this page to get a new one.
- Click the Download button.
- Click Save. The file is saved to your default location, usually your Downloads folder.
- Double-click the .dmg file you downloaded.
- Double-click McAfee Internet Security for Mac-1.0.mpkg.
- Click Continue. The Welcome screen appears.
- Click Continue. The product features and system requirements display.
- Click Continue.
- Click Read License, read the terms of the license agreement, and then click Agree to continue the installation.
- Click Install. The Authentication screen displays.
- Enter your administrator user name and password, then click OK.
NOTE: Use the administrator user name and password that you created when you first activated Mac OS X on your computer.
- If you do not have Mozilla Firefox installed on your Mac, click Get Firefox to install it now. Remember, you must have Firefox installed to use SiteAdvisor.
- After you install Firefox, click Continue.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to activate your software.
NOTE: If you purchased your product from an Internet Service Provider (ISP), activate it by entering your serial number.
- Click Close to complete the installation.
- Click Go from your Finder window.
- Select Applications.
- Double-click the McAfee Internet Security Uninstaller.
- Check the box beside Uninstall SiteAdvisor.
- Click Continue.
- Enter your admin password and click OK.
- Click Finish.
Possible Installation Issues:
In Mac OS X 10.6, Apple introduced an Incompatible Software folder during the OS upgrade process. When you install a product, known incompatible software is automatically moved into this folder to protect the stability of your system. Software that is incompatible with McAfee Security products must be removed from this folder before a McAfee product installation can complete.
For more information on the Incompatible Software folder, see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258.
For a list of incompatible third-party applications, see TS101083.
Conflicting Temp files
McAfee has found that some systems contain temporary files with restricted permissions that can conflict with the installation of Internet Security for Mac. When access is impeded, the installation may stop and present the following error:
A McAfee Enterprise version of the product is already install on your Mac.
After confirming that the Enterprise version of the product is not installed, clear the Productconfig
file in your temp folder (/private/var/tmp/
) to resolve this issue:
- Select the Go menu option from Finder.
- Select the Go to folder menu item.
- Type the following path in the Go to folder window:
- Delete the file Productconfig in the tmp folder location.
- Empty the Trash.
- Restart your computer.
- Begin a fresh install.